The coursework for this specialisation comprises 2 core courses, 1 required specialisation course, 4 specialisation elective courses, 1 open elective course plus either:
- a dissertation or
- two additional courses (one open elective and MMM 800 Critical Inquiry)
MMM 800 Critical Inquiry is open only for applicants pursuing the degree totally by coursework, and can be taken only on completion of eight courses.
- MED 871 Educational Inquiry I
- MED 872 Educational Inquiry II
Required Specialisation Course
- MSC 881 Foundations of Science and Science Education
Specialisation Elective Courses (Choose any 4 courses)
- MSC 882 Research Methodologies in Science Education
- MSC 884 Science Curriculum Change and Evaluation
- MSC 885 Principles of Science as Inquiry
- MSC 886 Assessment of Students’ Alternative Conceptions and Conceptual Change
- MSC 887 Science Discourse: Language, Literacy and Argumentation
- MSC 888 Representations and New Media in Science Education
- MSC 889 Critical Studies in Science Education: Questioning Assumptions in Teaching and Learning
Open Elective Courses (Choose any 1 course)
Any open elective courses offered across all NIE Masters Degree programmes, including this programme's specialisation elective courses. The offer of electives is reviewed regularly to reflect developments in education and the respective fields. You are advised to take note of the prerequisites (if any) before registering.
Download the full course listing and description of Science Specialisation Courses.
Optional Specialisation Courses are offered subject to demand and availability of faculty expertise. Hence, not all specialisation courses are available for selection to every intake.
Important note for matriculated students:
Please refer to the ISAAC system for the programme structure relevant to your intake during Course Registration or consult your programme leader if you need clarifications.